Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Charleston Light Dragoon Punch 1792 - Page 265


Kari and I went to the Husk Bar on Thursday after our Thanksgiving Dinner out and hung out with Darryl and Rachel the outstanding bar staff there.  We of course had to try this punch in anticipation of making it from the cookbook.  It wasn't our first time trying it.  It's an excellent and refreshing drink, but this gave us a real chance to do a taste test of our results versus the real thing.

This drink is based on a recipe found in the Charleston Preservation Society archives, and I have to say that I love what the society does.  Their house tours are awesome, and I got an awesome map (the Halsey Map) from them for my retirement. You really should check their store out at the corner of Queen and King streets.

I have to say that I felt like I was cheating on Ox, since he's in Florida for the holidays, but I figure I can accomplish a drink without screwing it up, especially since it involves brewing tea, which Kari excels at.

You basically brew tea, let it cool, add lemon juice and liquor, let it cool, and then serve with soda water and lemon peel.  The result is a refreshing, slightly peachy drink that tastes great.  My only complaint is that it says it makes 20 servings when in reality you get almost a gallon of the base that you use 3 ounces per serving.  Actually, I really don't see the problem.




No comments:

Post a Comment