Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cracklin' Cornbread - Page 71

I got to use my favorite Cast Iron skillet today!  I love that skillet!  Just look at it, seven layers of polymerized flax seed oil over thousands of layers of traditional seasoning and years and years of cooking.  I got this sucker at the flea market in Hawaii almost twenty years ago, and it was old and seasoned back then!  I think it might be older than I am.  It's my go-to skillet.

Ox has made cast iron skillet corn bread before and he identified this recipe as better designed than the one he uses.  I have to say that Sean Brock neglected step one of the recipe: either open all doors and windows or remove smoke detector batteries.  In his defense this probably isn't necessary under a restaurant exhaust hood.  For the record, in case you're wondering, the best recipes in the world involve opening windows and disabling smoke detectors!

We got lucky and found bacon end pieces at the Summerville Farmer's Market.  We also got the corn meal there from the Flying Farmer.  He has an old milling machine running making corn meal and providing the background beat at the market.  Buttermilk was raw and from Turner Farms (also at the Farmer's Market).  The buttermilk was THICK!  and yummy.


Watching the batter hit the bacon fat and start smoking was a near religious experience.  I wish I'd gotten a picture of it.  The cornbread came out PERFECT and tasted awesome - just like I remember at Husk.  I may make this every day!  I also feel that it made my skillet happy.

You should make this.  Best recipe so far - and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment