Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Carrots Braised and Glazed in Carrot Juice - Page 46

We decided to start simple, with a side dish to accompany our normal dinner.  This may also have been inspired by the disappointing glazed carrots made by Ox last week - but he's not admitting to that.  We liked the idea espoused in this recipe description of cooking vegetables in their own juices to enhance their flavor.  We expected to have trouble with ingredients at some point during this adventure, but didn't expect it so early...










We weren't able to find baby carrots, so ours were a bit larger than the recipe called for.  We also couldn't find Chervil, which I had assumed was a name for some sort of rodent - imagine my embarrassment at the Whole Foods meat counter.  A quick internet search said that they were actually an herb similar to parsley, so we made the appropriate substitution.

As the mise-en-place guy, my job was to pre-stage the ingredients, and I may have missed the peel the carrots step, which resulted in some interesting things during cooking, but Ox saved the day with some quick thinking.  Lesson learned - read recipe carefully and follow instructions.  I never really learned to do that during my career as a Navy Nuclear Operator.  Also, if you look closely at the juicer picture, you'll see a bit of a setup issue.  In my defense, it has been over a year since I used it.  Speaking of juicing, the Juiceman Junior is over twenty years old and still going strong!

Juiceman Jr. Automatic Juice Extractor

We also forewent using the carrot tops as garnish, since they weren't exuberantly fresh.

All in all, we managed to fuck up several key steps, and yet it still tasted awesome!  I'm sure Chef Brock would have sent it back to the kitchen and fired whoever made it, but we're going to add this to the list of recipes we liked, but want to try again and get right.

P.S. This post may make Ox and I look more like My Drunk Kitchen as opposed to real cooks, but we don't really suck that bad.  Stick with us and we'll show you some good fun!

Advice: We've done this three times and the best advice I can give is to strain the carrot juice through cheesecloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment