Friday, November 28, 2014

Fried Chicken Skin with Hot Sauce and Honey - Page 253


Well s**t.  Mine don't look anything like the picture in the book.  Nor do they look the ones we've had at Husk.  I blame Chef Brock.  Clearly he sabotaged the recipe in his book to ensure I couldn't duplicate the restaurant results.  This ensures that I, and everyone else, have to go to the restaurant to get them.  It couldn't possibly be my marginal kitchen skills - no, not that.  They actually tasted pretty damn good.  Though we used a whipped up hot sauce vice Husk Hot Sauce - since that takes FOUR MONTHS to make!  Better get that recipe started soon.

All kidding aside, the recipe was easy to follow and the results not bad.  The hardest part was scraping the fat off the chicken skins.  I had some practice trying to duplicate a baked chicken skin that Chef Erik Anderson made with Chef Brock on an episode of Mind of a Chef, and had even watched Chef Brock make this very recipe in an add-on video from the series - HERE.  Speaking of which, you should own and watch Mind of a Chef with Sean Brock - it's mindblowing:

We had the skin leftover from the Chicken Stock chickens we broke down so that was no problem.  I also had some great honey from my sister's bee hives in Maine. Once we finished scraping the skins, we put them in the buttermilk bath and baked them for an hour like the recipe said.  When they came out of the oven, it looked a little scary, but once the buttermilk was shaken off, they accepted the flour mixture really well, and it stuck nicely while they were fried.

I managed not to burn myself with Ox's help, and the skins came out okay.  The taste was not quite as awesome as I remember from Husk, but we scarfed them down pretty damn quick.  Hot sauce and honey is a brilliant combination!

Here's the real thing from Husk Restaurant in Charleston:
(much better than the ones we made)






No comments:

Post a Comment