Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Tomato Jam - Page 229

We used the same tomatoes that we used for the Tomato Conserve, but these were another day riper.  This meant I couldn't procrastinate even though I didn't feel like cooking.  Good thing too, cause this stuff was good.

The peeling of the tomatoes went a lot better today.  I gave them 30 seconds in the boiling water and then just a minute in the ice bath.  I also think there's a skill to this that I acquired some of yesterday.

It seemed like it took forever to boil the tomatoes down to "dark brown" and "very thick".  I was boiling for about 32 minutes, but I took a hint from it being similar to making tomato paste, so I didn't give up until it was good and dark, and good and thick.

This stuff tastes awesome.  I'm already thinking about getting some more tomatoes and making more, because I have a LOT of ideas to use this stuff on.

Advice: If you're having trouble peeling tomatoes, give them an extra 10 seconds in the boiling water next time.  Also make sure the water is REALLY boiling.


No comments:

Post a Comment