Monday, November 23, 2015

Heirloom Tomato Conserve - Page 223

I have a confession - I don't know what the hell Tomato Conserve should look like.  Luckily, I have the internet....

The internet doesn't know what it looks like.  There are images for everything from paste to soup like consistency.  I have an idea what it should look like, since the Great and Powerful Brock tells me in his book to cut the tomatoes to a quarter inch dice, and then carefully fold them in.  So obviously it should be a bit chunky, and definitely not paste.

All that said, mine came out a little runny, but delicious, so I'm calling it good.  I'll let you know what we try it on and how it works.  Gonna try it over Pecorino Cheese soon.

The hardest part is peeling the tomatoes, but the beautiful ones I got at the Summerville Farmer's Market (from one of the smaller vendors) were a lot easier to peel than traditional tomatoes.  I still did a pretty bad job of peeling, seeding and dicing, but the end result wasn't too ugly.

Advice: Get good tomatoes.  Make sure to use a wine that you like.  Chef's sometimes argue about why it is ESSENTIAL to never put wine that you wouldn't drink in food that you are cooking, but to me, the answer is obvious - I plan on drinking what doesn't end up in the food!




No comments:

Post a Comment