Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Herb Marinated Hanger Steak with Vidalia Onion Gratin and Steak Sauce - Page 135

Ox has a gratin problem.  Meaning, he has only successfully execute au gratin potatoes once since I've known him...and I've known him a while.  Not only that, but I'm pretty sure gratin was to blame for our miscommunication wherein Ox showed up at my house expecting me to have ingredients for this recipe, while I expected him to show up with ingredients for another!  Luckily, that day worked out (Huevos de Hoecakes).  I'd like to tell you that this was the day of Ox's triumphant redemption, but that wouldn't be true.  That said, while the gratin didn't come out perfect, it came out a lot better than his usually does, and we're pretty sure how to fix it next time.  The flavors of this gratin are amazing, so we will be doing it right in the future.

There will be another post on the Steak Sauce, which will be used in my kitchen forever, but let me just say it was great!  I've said before that I'm a bit of a meat purist, but again, Chef Brock has changed my views.  The herb marinade and steak sauce complemented the hanger steak PERFECTLY.

We marinated the steaks at about 10 am, and ate at 7 pm.  I also made the base of the marinade, but didn't cook it until I got to Ox's house.  The recipe breaks up nicely over the course of the day, allowing lots of time so it doesn't take over the day.  While time consuming, it's remarkably easy to follow and flows nicely, with lots of time for drinking and watching NASCAR (I chose to do both - Carl Wins!)  The potatoes in the gratin came out slightly under-cooked, while the topping could not be cooked any longer.  We plan on cooking the gratin without the topping until nearly done, then adding the topping and finishing off.


The quick cook on the steak, combined with the marinade and high heat made for a lovely coating on the steak.  Five people made short work of the steaks.

Advice: Read the recipe and plan the steps out.  Especially, don't start the grill until the gratin has been in the oven for 25 minutes at least.  Everything will come together well, and the gratin will wait if done early.  Cook the gratin without the topping for a while, then add the topping and cook until browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment