Monday, March 28, 2016

Basic Meat Sauce - Page 321

I thought maybe I didn't chop the celery and carrots up small enough but the results were outstanding, so I guess it's okay.  I like this recipe because the long legs of it (about 2 hours worth) can be done ahead, and the base held in the fridge for up to a week.  At first I thought there was going to be a ton of sauce, but it cooks waaaaay the hell down.  I expect next time I'll double or triple the recipe and plan on a week of nightly meaty goodness.

This was a seriously good meat sauce and it made the house smell wicked delicious while cooking.  I love recipes with concepts like this, caramelizing the s**t out of some vegetables, cooking wines down to nothingness, and then giving some awesome herbs a bath for a few hours.

I'm wondering if the base can be frozen...

Advice: Make more than you think you need - lots more!

6 comments:

  1. What KIND of submarine master chief? Coner or nuke? Lamb looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What KIND of submarine master chief? Coner or nuke? Lamb looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Ox is active duty ELT senior chief.

      Delete
    2. Well small world then! I answered the siren call of ELT 2JV myself and love to cook. You've got a new follower.

      Delete
    3. There's a decent chance we crossed paths if you were in recently. I was the CRCI Master Chief in Charleston from 2008 to 2010ish.

      Delete