Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Spicy Pepper Jelly - Page 214

I'm excited about this recipe, because my sister makes some awesome pepper jelly, and I want my own.  I again texted her for advice, and she gave me some tips which I will detail later.

You need a juicer for this, and when we juiced 2 pounds of red peppers per the recipe, we had almost four cups of juice (vice the 1 and a half the recipe said we needed).  This might be due to the AWESOME juicer I have, which I recommended in an earlier post.  You also need a candy thermometer.  I will link to the ones I use at the end of the post.  For full disclosure, we get a small cut if you buy through the link, which we use to defray ingredient costs.

As usual, we used the excess juice to make some bitchin' bloody marys, similar to what we did with the excess clear tomato juice from THIS recipe.

The recipe called for heating the full mixture to 145F (between soft and firm ball for you candy makers) and said it would take about 10 minutes.  This became another "In Brock we Trust" moment, since it took 45 minutes, and the jelly started looking really caramelized.  In the end, it tasted delicious, and seems to be cooling to jelly consistency.  UPDATE: Came out too thick.  More like caramel than jelly.  Still awesome taste.  We will check our thermometer calibration.  We tried the serve over cream cheese with Wheat Thins at our Lowcountry Seafood Boil and it was great!

Again, don't take a big whiff of the boiling liquid!
This one has vinegar AND peppers.
Yes, I smelled it again.  Sniff gently.

We oven sterilized the jars for this recipe as well.  The other change we made, as recommended by the sister, was to immediately flip the jars upside down for ten minutes right after lidding.  We left them there for ten minutes, then righted them.  We are not touching them again for 24 hours.  We also jarred them in smaller jars.  The 4 oz jars are perfect for emptying over a chunk of cream cheese, and serving with wheat thins.

Advice: Get juicer and thermometer linked below.  Make bloody marys with excess pepper juice (or make ice cubes with it - for bloody marys).  You don't need to boil the full jars for this one.  We had the pot boiling away before we realized this.  Trust in the Brock.


No comments:

Post a Comment