Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Pickled Eggs - Page 210

The thing we argued about on this recipe was why poke the big end of the eggs.  My sister and wife said it was to make them easier to peel.  I thought it was to make the boiled egg fill the shell and have a perfect shape.  I can tell you for certain that it didn't make the f**ken eggs easier to peel.  As anyone with chickens knows, really fresh eggs are a b**ch to peel.  These eggs had been inside a chicken somewhere between 2 and 48 hours before, so they were awesome - but crap to peel.

Other than peeling the eggs, this was an easy recipe, though complicated by a kitchen making dinner and not cleaned up from cosmetic production - don't ask.  At one point my wife dumped onions for the soup into the elderberry liquid which required quick action, and one of my sister's 57 colanders, to recover.  But we got the job done.

This recipe does require juicing, and I recommend the juicer below, which is a steal compared to other juicers:




After 7 days, this is what we had.  Not quite ready, but delicious nonetheless.  By the way, take a look at that yolk!  You can't get that color in the supermarket.  Get chickens, or find a friend with chickens, or find a farmer willing to give you the freshest eggs.  There really is no comparison.  In addition, organic chickens may not be as good.  I find the best eggs from yard running, scrap fed, bug eating chickens.  Just try it.  THIS is a good blog post from my old defunct food blog about eggs.

More pictures to follow...
.

1 comment: